Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sick of Airbrushed Christianity

So I've had this title as my MSN banner for the last little while and it has got quite a lot of responses. This term came to mind when I saw a picture of Faith Hill on the Wal-Mart shopping cart rack and I hardly recognized her. She just looked too perfect. Her hair was a different colour and there was not a flaw or imperfection in her face. She just wasn't real...she looked airbrushed.

Most of my frustrations have to do with the church I attend. The College and Career/Young Adults group there is pretty large and I've been going for about 2 years now. However, I have never really felt like I have belonged and the only ones that I feel know me are the people that I was friends with before I started going there. I mean, I know that when you have you have larger groups cliques/smaller groups are bound to form, but with such a large group there should be at least some people that I gel with/fit in with. Sometimes I just feel like my hair isn't the right colour or I'm just not "cool" enough. So much of it seems so high school to me. Our College and Career seems all about "let's see how much fun we can have." Now don't get me wrong, I like to have fun, but I think people need more than that to feel fulfilled. It just seems like there is really no one there that could care less about how I am really doing. This has improved a little bit since smaller groups that meet on a weekly basis were formed. I mean, my small group is all right. I feel I can share somewhat openly there but within the larger group as a whole there seems to be this fear of going past the surface stuff because there might be hard stuff to deal with. People will ask "how are you?" while they are looking around for the next person to talk to. It seems everyone just wants to hear the "I'm doing good response" and then move on. I've dared some of my friends to tell people what they are really thinking or how they are really feeling during the Bible studies and then sit back and watch them freak out.
Its like at my church as a whole they just want to show people that Christians have perfect, happy lives because we have Jesus. Everyone is trying to be so stinkin happy all the time. Its like you have to bury all of the tough and ugly stuff you are dealing with and switch your "happy switch" when you walk in the door. I mean, really, one Sunday one of my good friends sat there just bawling in church and the person beside her just got up and left at the end of the service! Where's the love? I mean, I'm not saying that everything my church does is wrong. There are some things I love about my church: my pastor's preaching for example. He is a very engaging speaker and does not skirt around the tough stuff that most people avoid. Our church also does well at church discipline. For the life of me I cannot rememember or find the reference for this (can anyone help me?) but somewhere in the Bible it says that if your brother or sister is sinning, you should first try to address it one-on-one with him and if he does not listen and does not want to repent, then some of the elders should be brought in. Then if he still doesn't listen you bring in more leadership. Sometimes it even has to go public like it did in our church when one of the guys who was in leadership was engaging in pre-marital sex and other reckless behaviour with his girlfriend. They wound up pregnant and church leadership ended up addressing it in a public setting. So there are some things that our church does well.....we just need to get the love part down. Like, I really wonder what the people at our church would do if they asked someone how they were doing and the individual replied "Actually I feel like killing myself today. How about you?" I say this because I struggle with depression and when I hit my lowest points I sometimes am suicidal. I just hate having to pretend that everything is perfect when I go to church. Whatever happened to being human? Like did I miss the passing out of the superhuman/perfect life pills when I became a Christian or what? I think a lot of Christians (and churches) need to wake up and realize that it is all right to be human and let others be humans. It is all right to address that people are having a rough go of it. Who ever said that life was going to be easy? (Again, if anyone said that, did I miss it?). Acknowledging that someone is having a hard time does not mean that you have to have the answer. Sometimes a hug and a "do you want to talk to a pastor?" or "is there someone I can call?" or even just "its ok to cry" can greatly help. One of the moments I felt most loved at Bible College was the second semester I was there. I was really really depressed and calling home never ever helped because it would make me even more scared and depressed. I remember saying goodbye to my parents one day and then just bawling. A girl from our dorm floor that I didn't even know asked me if I was OK. I said no and she asked if I needed a hug. She held me and let me cry on her shoulder. No one else had done that for me, not even my friends when I was crying through supper in the cafeteria. I knew that that girl could not instantly fix me, but her just letting me be real and vulnerable made me feel that much better.

There, that's my rant. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. I know that if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. So if I want people to allow me and others to be vulnerable, I need to allow them to be vulnerable. Just need to figure out what that will look like in a setting like our College and Career.....maybe just asking better questions other than "how are you? How's work/school?" Maybe asking about best and worst parts of the week? It seems its always easy to pick out problems but the solutions seem so much harder.....anyone have any suggestions?

6 Comments:

At 5:49 PM , Blogger Brian and Karen said...

Hey Karen - yeah I totally hear ya...and I don't know how to fix things either. We put on our masks and enter the church. Nothing's wrong - and it's not until we're in the car on our way home that we loose it. I think that is one thing (among many) that should set us apart as Christians. We should be there for each other - really truly care. "Bear one another's burdens". I wish I had a solution...I was throwing around the idea of starting up a women's bible study - away from church...but would that honestly solve anything? I don't know...but I hear ya - and I feel what you're saying. It's tough for me - 'cause I don't know people at C&C or church really well at all. It's been all pretty surfacy for me - but I've been willing to take that, because at least I have that - but I think now is the time to actually develop good friendships...and yup it's gonna take work and it's gonna be hard. 'Cause that means that I have to be as transparent as the next person. Us humans don't like doin' that.

Okay now that I've written a book in circles I'll quit. Talk to ya later...

 
At 10:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shantzy,

I'm sorry that the first comment on your post is from a spammer. Although, it's kind of ironic, in a way.

I'm afraid that I don't have a solution for you, or really even much of a suggestion for that matter. But I've been there before. When I lived in Vancouver I went to a church where everything and everyone seemed so fake. It was really hard to make friends (I only ever made one good one), and sometimes our Tuesday night events felt more like "meat" markets. It didn't help that I was going through one of the roughest times of my life, and when (if ever) people asked how I was doing, the response I desperately wanted to give was "crappy".

But that was never the socially acceptible answer, so a lot of times I swallowed what I was feeling. Which is really sad, because church is where we are meant to be emotionally honest.

So I guess my only suggestion is to be the difference you seek (that sounds like someone famous..Ghandi, I think). We all know that we can't change anyone else and their reactions (much as we would like to - like the person that left your crying friend), but we can be the one person who does seek people out, who talks to those who are crying.

Yet I also know the flip side of that - It's really hard to pour yourself out when you're hurting. So, in essence I have no response for you. I can just hurt with you, and pray for the people in our churches.

Love you!

 
At 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM one of those surfacey people....I am part of the problem just because i didn't know how to get below the surface. Some of the quesions you suggested are goin to help me though. I think I mostly was scared to get attached to people because I didn't want them to know what a horrible lifestyle I live(d). I didn't want them to think I was dirt so i didn't want to know how they were doin because that would take us deeper but now that i am traveling the road to getting to know My Lord Jesus Christ better, things are looking up....hopefully this is a goodbye to surfacey talk at C&C for me!:)

love ya always Karen,
kat:)

 
At 12:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kat, you are not dirt. And anyone that makes you feel that you are is dirt themselves.

Hon, I've been there too - I've made a lot of bad decisions (and will tell you about them, if you want to know). I've tasted God's forgiveness, but I also still have scars too. However, when talking to C&Cers the best thing you can do is be honest, because no one, least of all me, should be judging you. To God, a sin is a sin is a sin, and no one sin outweighs another.

Please don't let anyone intimidate you or make you feel like they are following God better than you are. You are seeking God, and he is seeking you, and the only one who can address your sins is Him. Any other conviction or embarassment you feel, unless it's from God, is outside of his will. And that includes feeling guilty or ashamed of yourself. He isn't surprised by anything you've done, and still called you and me fully knowing what we have done and will do. And He still loves you more than anything else on earth.

And now I'll get off my soapbox. I Love you guys! I hope that we can help be part of the solution of this sickness in our churches.

 
At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Meg,
You made my day! Yes, we'll all have to work at this healing this sickness of the church together!

-kat;)

 
At 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen - I hope you see this although it's been written a long time after you wrote this entry. About those surface friendships at church...I've noticed that in any church I've gone to but I must put in a plug for small groups and girls Bible studies outside of church. I want to encourage you to set one up, even if it is on ly a couple people. If you are all willing, it's a place to let loose and love one another for who you are. You will discover that people struggle with the same things that you do, they just hide it. And trust me, if you are open, you will develop better, stronger friendships. This has happened for me and others I know through different groups that were set up in homes. Keep it small and personal and confidential. You'll gain a lot from it. Trust me.
Lots of love, Kristina

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home